Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Partial Simplifications' topicStudent Support Forum > General > Archives > "Partial Simplifications"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
Josh
09/14/05 11:04am

I've got a Mathematica problem that I'm struggling with.

Basically, I've got a complicated expression involving products and sums of Euler Gamma functions, and I'm trying to calculate a series expansion of it. The resulting series expansion includes several factors of Riemann Zeta functions -- derivatives of Gamma yield PolyGamma's (a.k.a., the psi function) and I'm evaluating the series expansion around 1.

Here's the problem. The series expansion yields thousands of terms, and needs to be simplified using Simplify. But, Simplify goes too far for what I need. For example (recall that Zeta[n] ~ pi^n for n even):

a Zeta[4]^2 + b Zeta[8]

Simplifies to something proportional to pi^8. But, I need simplify to stop at the level of the Zeta functions and not simplify further. After it Simplifies, I'm obviously not able to separate pi^8 into its original Zeta[4]^2 and Zeta[8] pieces.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem -- either through built-in functions or perhaps some creative trick?

Thanks!

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Partial Simplifications')
Author Date Posted
Partial Simplifications Josh 09/14/05 11:04am
Re: Partial Simplifications Josh 09/14/05 1:55pm
Re: Partial Simplifications yehuda ben-s... 09/14/05 3:18pm
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic