Mathematica 9 is now available
Student Support Forum
-----
Student Support Forum: 'Out of Memory When Importing Data' topicStudent Support Forum > General > "Out of Memory When Importing Data"

Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic
Author Comment/Response
John Buncher
10/11/05 01:53am

I'm attempting to import a ~200 MB ascii text file of data that is formatted as a column of integers, like

==================
==================

and so on, without the "====" appearing in the file.

I'm trying to import the data so I can run some calculations on it, using the command

dataset=Import["filename.txt","List"];

Importing this file causes the memory used by the kernel to balloon up to 800 megs of physical ram (as windows reports it), then it invades the system ram, and eventually returns the message:

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

I should add that I was able to import a 66 MB data file produced from the same program into MMA correctly (though it still took up many many megs of memory), so I don't think the file itself is faulty.

I have also already tried using <<Utilities`MemoryConserve` and On[MemoryConserve] before importing the data.

The machine running the code is an Athlon 3200+ with 1 GB of RAM on Win XP SP2 with all available security updates.

I would be insanely appreciative to anyone that could help me out with this issue.

--John Buncher

URL: ,

Subject (listing for 'Out of Memory When Importing Data')
Author Date Posted
Out of Memory When Importing Data John Buncher 10/11/05 01:53am
Re: Out of Memory When Importing Data Allen 10/13/05 3:20pm
Re: Out of Memory When Importing Data yehuda ben-s... 10/13/05 3:51pm
Re: Out of Memory When Importing Data John Buncher 10/17/05 11:42pm
Re: Out of Memory When Importing Data yehuda ben-s... 10/20/05 03:30am
Next Comment >Help | Reply To Topic