MathTalk

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: MathTalk
  • From: uunet!itk.unit.no!tori
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 89 13:57:56 -0600

I'm writing a program where I want to call Mathematica to perform
symbolic and numerical operations. In the User's Guide for SUN Work-
stations it says that Mathematica supports communication with front
ends and application-programs through the packet-based protocol
MathTalk. I've got the MathTalk utility programs
         control
         leftcrc
         leftend
         rightcrc
         rightend
         twoway
but there is no information on *how* to use these programs.

Question: Can anyone help me with some hints or examples on how to
          communicate with Mathematica through the MathTalk protocol
          from a general application program / front end?
          (I'm running Mathematica version 1.2 on a SUN 3/60 Work-
          station)

Tor Ivar Eikaas
Research Scientist
SINTEF Automatic Control