Re: Printing mathematica graphics on a Laserwriter II NT

  • Subject: Re: Printing mathematica graphics on a Laserwriter II NT
  • From: COLEMAN at uregina1.bitnet
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 20:32:54 -0500
  • Apparently-to: mathgroup-out at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu

  We have mathematica running on a SUN3/50 and a SUN3/60. The
Laserwriter II NT is connected to the serial port of the 3/50.
Here is what my version of mathematica says about printing graphics

Mathematica (sun3.68881) 1.2 (June 24, 1989) [With pre-loaded data]
by S. Wolfram, D. Grayson, R. Maaeder, H. Cejtin,
   S. Omohundro, D. Ballman and J. Keiper
with I. Rivin and D. Withoff
Copyright 1988,1989 Wolfram Research Inc.
 -- SunView graphics initialized --

In[1]:= ??LaserPrint
LaserPrint
Attributes[LaserPrint] = {Protected}
LaserPrint = PSPrint

In[1]:= ??PSPrint
PSPrint[-graphics-] sends graphics to a printer.
Attributes[PSPrint] = {Protected}
PSPrint/: PSPrint[System`Private`x_] :=

>    (Display["!psfix | lpr", System`Private`x]; System`Private`x)

In[1]:= ??Display
Display[channel, graphics] writes graphics to the specified output channel.
Attributes[Display] = {Protected}

  I hope the square brackets come out ok. I unfortunately must
for a while yet send from an IBM mainframe which likes to change
square brackets into double quotes.

  When I do a Plot either 2D or 3D and then use

PSPrint[%] or LaserPrint[%]

something is sent to the laserwriter but the printer eventually hangs.
Following the advice of James Blanchard I defined

lw[x_]:= (Display["!psfix > file.ps",x];x)

and used

lw[%]

to capture the file. I then sent the postscript file to the printer
from a regular shell using lpr and it printed with no problem; however, if I
change the definition by replacing the > with a pipe | ( in a fresh
session) something goes to the printer but it eventually hangs.
Has anyone else encountered this problem?

  As far as incoporating a graphic in a LaTeX file using \special
and dvi2ps, I found that it was necessary to leave space above
the special and shrink the file using dvi2ps' hscale and vscale.
Unfortunately changing the scale seems to alter the position
the \special appears on the page. Does anyone have advice on
how to compute appropriate values for hoffset and voffset for
given values for hscale and vscale?

                       Thanks for the help
                       Robert Coleman
                       coleman at uregina2.bitnet