Re: Bug in Integrate?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Bug in Integrate?
  • From: uunet!decide!bobk (Bob Korsan)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 90 10:32:05 PDT

You write

----- Begin Included Message -----

>From saxony!uunet!yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu!mathgroup-adm Tue Aug 14 20:59:55 1990
From: uunet!mathnx.byu.edu!smithw (William V. Smith)
To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
Subject: Bug in Integrate?

This problem came up in some instructional materials being developed
here. If any of you know what's going on here let me know.  I told
the person who handed it to me, that it might be related to the rather
awkward way Mathematica handles square roots.  So, try doing
this integration problem:

In[1]:=

  a Integrate[Sqrt[(1-Cos[theta])^2+Sin[theta]^2],{theta,0,2 Pi}]

Out[1]:=

    0

(*this is incorrect*)

In[2]:=

  a NIntegrate[Sqrt[(1-Cos[theta])^2+Sin[theta]^2],{theta,0,2 Pi}]

Out[2]:=

   8. a

(*this is correct*)