Mathematica and External Numeric Packages.

  • To: uiucuxc!yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu!mathgroup
  • Subject: Mathematica and External Numeric Packages.
  • From: uiucuxc!summanulla.nbsr.duke.edu!crm (Charles R. Martin)
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 90 17:57:50 EST

We are considering re-implementing or extending our existing simulation
package by using Mathematica; I've been thinking about ways in which
fast numeric packages for special problems might be made accessible
through Mathematica.  So far, my cursory reading of the Mathematica book
suggests that a program can be run subsidiary to Mathematica through a
pipe and the results returned.  This could be nearly useful, but some
details of how the results are obtained and their formats are unclear to
me.  Also, I wonder if it might not be possible to implement new
primitives in C and import them somehow.

This is all prologue to asking anyone who has had experience with
implementing new numeric routines, especially those which are not coded
in Mathematica form, to share with me any information they can.

Thanks very much,

Charlie Martin (...!mcnc!duke!crm, crm at summanulla.mc.duke.edu)
NBSR/Box 3709/Duke University Medical Center/Durham, NC 27710