Re: A question about plotting

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.ncsa.uiuc.edu
  • Subject: Re: A question about plotting
  • From: uunet!wri!withoff (David Withoff)
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 90 11:34:28 CDT

The only PlotStyle settings I've used for ListPlot are color and
PointSize.  To get other plotting symbols, the TextListPlot function
in Graphics.m is a reasonable starting point.  TextListPlot uses
character strings instead of points to display data.  The same
basic idea can be used to display other plotting symbols.  For
example:

SquarePoint[point:{_?NumberQ, _?NumberQ}] :=
    {Line[{Scaled[{.01, .01}, point], Scaled[{.01, -.01}, point],
          Scaled[{-.01, -.01}, point], Scaled[{-.01, .01}, point],
          Scaled[{.01, .01}, point]}], Point[point]}

SquarePointPlot[data:{{_?NumberQ, _?NumberQ}..}] :=
    Show[Graphics[Map[SquarePoint, data]], Axes -> Automatic]

example:

data = Table[Random[], {10}, {2}]
SquarePointPlot[data]

I've seen some partially finished packages (with code fragments
like the above), but nothing that seemed finished enough to merit
broad distribution.  Hopefully a a few code fragments like this
will serve the purpose until a more complete solution becomes
available.

Dave Withoff
Wolfram Research
withoff at wri.com