sparse matrices

  • To: math group <mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu>
  • Subject: sparse matrices
  • From: Robert Dahlgren <dahlgren at draper.com>
  • Date: 6 Apr 1992 18:41:14 -0500

                       Subject:                               Time:5:27 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          sparse matrices                        Date:4/6/92
I am in need of information on sparse matrix packages for mathematica or other
suggestions how to handle 12x12 or even 20x20 matrices.  These consist of a
number of 2x2, 4x4 and 8x8 scattering matrices assembled along the diagonal of
a global scattering matrix, with most of the off-diagonal coefficients zero.  I
need to calculate the inverse, eigenvalues & eigenvectors, and evenyually
transforming to more compact global matrix.

Any information on an approach before I get started would be helpful.  Also,
has anyone worked on mapping optical polarization states onto the Poincare
sphere?  Thank you.

Robert Dahlgren
the Charles Stark Draper Lab
555 Technology Square