graphics 3D

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: graphics 3D
  • From: wallraff at acds.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Wolfgang Wallraff)
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 18:53:52 GMT

Andreas Wallraff
wallraff at enix.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Germany (0)241/159875

Hi MathGroup

Is  there somebody out there in the wide world of Mma-Users, who has some
experience with Mma Graphics3D function?

I have written a Mma-package that produces 3 dimensional Graphics of ropes. My
package calculates the polygons perfectly, but Mma seems to be unable to display
large ammounts of polygons. The smallest problems involve displaying about 5 000
polygons. But there will be problems with 200 000 polygons. I do not understand,
why Mma needs so much time to display these polygons. Despite the time it also
needs lots of memory (20 MB of RAM are sufficient for small problems). But I can
not imagine why Mma needs so much memory for this kind of problems.

Probably there is sombody who has the same problems with Mma Graphics3D function
and who has found a work-around or a fix for this problem!

I am really interested in your experiences with this problems.

Perhaps somebody knows some programms, that can import the raw-data of my
polygons and then display them within the programm itself. Perhaps there is a
programm that is more speciallized to this kind of graphic-problems.

Thanks

		Andreas Wallraff
		West Germany
	wallraff at enix.physik.rwth-aachen.de