What should Mma be?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: What should Mma be?
  • From: Tapio Luttinen <100013.2275 at compuserve.com>
  • Date: 03 Dec 92 02:33:51 EST

Hi Mathgroupers,

Concerning the discussion about the essence of Mma in the future. In my
opinion Mathematica should be developed both as a mathematical and
presentation tool.

1) Having to use other programs to present the results means that I have
to do part of the job twice. This is contrary to the basic idea of Mma -
Let a computer do the routine work.

2) Good looking graphics is a marketing aid that increases the sales. This
makes it possible to spend more on R&D. If Mathematica is a tool for
research workers in universities only, the resources to develop
mathematical algorithms would be smaller. So, good looking graphics
enables better mathematical algorithms.

Tapio
| Tapio Luttinen                      Tel. (work)     +358 (18) 524-252 |
| TL Consulting Engineers Ltd.        Tel. (home)     +358 (18) 563-332 |
| Vesijarvenkatu 26 A                 Tel. (mobile)   +358 (49) 350-298 |
| 15140 Lahti                         Fax             +358 (18) 830-660 |
| FINLAND                             E-mail 100013.2275 at compuserve.com |