graphing strange stuff

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: graphing strange stuff
  • From: fateman at peoplesparc.berkeley.edu (Richard Fateman)
  • Date: Tue, 11 Feb 92 22:07:56 PST

We have a bunch of programs using interval arithmetic "RealInterval"
in mathematica that produce "correct" plots of interesting functions
that have discontinuities.  It relies on the system computing intervals
correctly, something that Mathematica does not do without a lot of help.

The graphs use rectangles instead of line segments.  A paper on
this subject was submitted to ISSAC-92, a conference readers of this
group may be interesting in learning more about... ISSAC =
International Symposium  on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation.
July 27-29 in Berkeley.
..
 Richard Fateman

[I asked Riichard about the availability of his programs. -smc]

The programs are in Mathematica (2.0); I am not sufficiently
proud of them as to widely distribute them;  if someone wants
to improve on them, I'll share them, but I am a bit leary of
posting them and thereby attracting bug reports.  And there
will be bugs because Mathematica does not do RealInterval[..]
well.  Almost every function I've used has had to be patched.