honest plotting using Mathematica 2.0 RealIntervals

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: honest plotting using Mathematica 2.0 RealIntervals
  • From: fateman at peoplesparc.berkeley.edu (Richard Fateman)
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 92 16:08:40 PST
  • Cc: fateman at peoplesparc.berkeley.edu

OK, you can get, by anonymous ftp from peoplesparc.berkeley.edu
(128.32.131.14), stuff about plotting using intervals.  plotinterval.m
realinterval.m and plotpaper.ps.Z (the latter is a paper, and is
compressed.)

The file realinterval.m shows the kind of patching over that was
needed to make Mathematica work up to some primitive standard.

The file plotinterval.m should show the kinds of gyrations necessary
to change the plot package.

 No warranties on anything.

 There are other ideas we are pursuing that use divided difference for
much better adaptive plots, but the code is even rougher, and I'm not
willing to send it out yet.  I've also written a 3-D analog of
adaptive plotting of surfaces, that chooses more mesh points near
rapidly changing places, also quite roughly coded. There are far
better programs that Mathematica for doing this particular task, since
the built-in surface display is defined on a rectangular mesh, not
locally subdivisible.

Richard Fateman, UC Berkeley