Re: Even numbers

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Even numbers
  • From: a_rubin at dsg4.dse.beckman.com (arthur rubin)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jul 92 07:46:21 PDT

You (martind at puhep1.princeton.edu) write:

  I'd like to know how to set up that a certain "number" 2*k is even
while 2*k+1 is odd, in such a way that then

 EvenQ[2*k]=True

 OddQ[2*k+1]=True

 I know that with upvalues it is possible to set up that a single symbol
is even:

 n /:EvenQ[n]=True

but it does not work with the "expression" 2*k.

You have to unprotect EvenQ and OddQ (for downvalues) or Plus and Times
(for upvalues).