Re: Math typesetting in plot labels

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu, faeder at jila02.colorado.edu
  • Subject: Re: Math typesetting in plot labels
  • From: p617hfa at sun24.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de (Heino Falcke)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Nov 92 12:42:24 +0100

>I don't know the answer to your question, but I have wanted to do exactly the
>same thing myself.  The best solution I have come up with so far is to export
>Mathematica's postscript output into some graphics application that would allow
>you to visually edit the file (like FrameMaker or AdobeIllustrator).  I don't
>have either of these packages, so I don't know what their typesetting
>capabilities are.  I would be very interested in any responses you get to your
>inquiry.  Please forward them to me if they don't get placed in the MathGroup
>mailing.  Thanks a lot.

I tried to use IslandDraw from ArborText. This program is able to convert
PostScript files. This works  with gnuplot postsrcipt output (but there are
some scaling problems which have to be corrected manually).

However, IslandDraw is unable to convert Mathematica Postscript output. Even
a simple Line can not be incorporated. Mathematica Postscript seems to be too
confusing for this simple minded converter. I have complained this to ArborText (weeks ago)
but they haven`t answerd yet . Therefore I am currently transferring my data from
Mathematica to gnuplot, plot the graphs, produce Postscript output, correct
this manually, convert this to IslandDraw, correct it again and refine it.
The final output is superb, but the way to it annoying.

Heino Falcke