Abort?

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Abort?
  • From: spagiola at fri-nxt-pagiola.stanford.edu (Stefano Pagiola)
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 17:31:35 PDT

Why won't mma abort when asked to?

I can hit command-. until i'm blue in the face, and that won't stop
mma from merrilly chugging away.  Oh yes, eventually it might notice,
a few minutes later, that I've asked for abort, and stop, after
blowing up my swapfile or spewing out reams of garbage.

What's the point of this kind of abort?  Either it works instantly,
or don't even bother putting into the interface.

(as i write this, mma has been churning at an infinite loop for about
10 minutes; its been 9 1/2 minutes since I hit command-., repeatedly.
Oh, and it won't let me get to the 'abort' button or the 'kill
kernel' button on the Background Tasks panel, either)

---
-
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola at frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola at FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)