even more on ContourPlot3D

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: even more on ContourPlot3D
  • From: gray at cmgroup.engr.wisc.edu
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 93 11:49:20 CDT

I tried changing MaxRecursion -> 2 and PlotPoints from {3,5} to {4,6}.
I gave Mathematica 2.1 15MB on a Quadra 800 and it took hours to run
out of memory on certain plot.  I had previously done the same plot
with the default settings and it came back in a couple of minutes with
the plot, albeit with a resolution that didn't show the details that I
knew to be there.  I was hoping that this information might give the
mathgroup people more information in answering my previous question
on how BEST to increase plot resolution.  Do I up MaxRecursion, PlotPoints,
or both.  Is one faster than the other?  Can someone explain just what they
do?

Thank you again...

Gary L. Gray
Engineering Mechanics & Astronautics