NSF Workshop for Faculty with Symbolic Algebra Experience

  • To: MathGroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: NSF Workshop for Faculty with Symbolic Algebra Experience
  • From: Conrad_Geiger at next.com
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 93 11:10:56 PST

AN NSF WORKSHOP FOR FACULTY WITH SYMBOLIC ALGEBRA EXPERIENCE

Contact:

	Email: NSF.Workshop at Rose-Hulman.edu
	FAX: (812) 877-8895
	Phone: (812)877-8143

Revitalizing the Engineering, Mathematics, and Science Curricula via
Symbolic Algebra

WHEN
	Tuesday, July 13 through Saturday, July 17, 1993
	with an optional refresher on Monday July 12th.
	(Also to be offered in 1994.)

WHERE
	Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
	5500 Wabash Avenue
	Terre Haute, IN 47803

STAFF
	Dr. Mark A. Yoder
	Electrical Engineering
	(812) 877-8291
	Mark.A.Yoder at Rose-Hulman.edu

	Dr. Robert Lopez
	Dept. of Mathematics
	(812) 877-8396
	R.Lopez at Rose-Hulman.edu

COURSE DESCRIPTION

This is a five-day workshop for faculty with previous exposure to
computer algebra systems such as Maple or Mathematica.  Faculty,
drawn from engineering, science, and mathematics, will learn how to
use computer algebra as an effective tool in teaching, revising
curricula, and making the contents of their courses more conceptual.

A participant will craft at least one instructional unit showcasing
the utility of symbolic manipulation software.

Participants will be shown examples of similar curricular
improvements that have already been made at Rose-Hulman.  In the
interdisciplinary atmosphere of the workshop, participants will
conceive, create, and critique units of their own.  They will leave
the workshop with a clear understanding of the potential for computer
algebra to transform their own curricula.

The course is taught in a laboratory equipped with NeXT workstations
and Mathematica and Maple; participants are seated in front of their
own workstation.

ELIGIBILITY

Participants must have previous symbolic algebra experience.
Participation in UFE workshops is limited to those in
permanent faculty positions in post-secondary educational
institutions in the 50 states and US possessions and
territories.

Enrollment is limited to 30 participants who will be selected on the
basis of topics they teach and their level of facility with a
computer algebra system.

If the workshop is full, or you are not eligible, please see the
Rose-Hulman shortcourse described below.

COST
Registration and room and board will be covered by NSF.  The only
participant cost is transportation to the workshop.

CONTACT
The course is part of the NSF Undergraduate Faculty Enhancement (UFE)
Program.  If you would like an application, please Email
NSF.Workshop at Rose-Hulman.edu, FAX (812) 877-8895, or call (812)
877-8143.

In addition to the workshop described above we are offering the
following shortcourse for engineering, mathematics & computer science
faculty with little or no symbolic algebra experience:

"Using Computer Algebra to Teach Engineering"

The NSF workshop is for faculty with some experience using CAS in
teaching. For faculty with little or no experience using CAS who
would like to learn how to incorporate CAS into their classroom,
Rose-Hulman is hosting a 4-day shortcourse from 16-June to
19-June-1993.

The shortcourse will be much like the workshop, except that its
audience is not restricted by experience or geography.  During the
shortcourse we will offer a tutorial on Maple or Mathematica (your
choice).  We will also disseminate results from the 1992 NSF
workshop.

NSF is not funding this shortcourse, therefore anyone can participate

(unlike the workshop).  Unfortunately without such funding we have to

charge a fee of $800 to cover our costs.  This fee will cover room,
board, materials, etc.

Since we can't guess what the demand will be for this shortcourse, we

are asking for a $50 deposit (which will count toward the
registration fee) with each application.  If we get 20 deposits by
23-April-1993, the course will run.  If not, the $50 deposits will be
returned.

Please Email to RHIT.Shortcourse at Rose-Hulman.edu or contact Dr. David
Purdy at 812-877-8321 or for an application if you are interested.