Re: ParametricPlot

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: ParametricPlot
  • From: Silvio Levy <levy at math.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Feb 93 19:08:34 -0800

Every now and then someone on the list asks about the message

> ParametricPlot::ppcom:
>   Function <whatever> cannot be compiled; plotting will proceed with the
> uncompiled function.

Tom Wickam-Jones just had to answer such a question yesterday.

A long, long time ago (Feb 91), when I beta-tested 2.0, I wrote to the
WRI developers saying

> I have similar [negative] feelings about the messages generated by commands
> whose default option is Compiled->True when the function is uncompilable.
> At the very least there should be an option
> Compiled->DoTheBestYouCanWithoutBotheringMeWithDetails.

Matthew Cook replied:

> Your opinion here is almost universally held.
> I am in fact working on making True be just that.

Either the opinion of the majority was smothered by an evil and
powerful minority, or this fix must be extremely hard to implement.
Perhaps if everyone on the list wrote them a note, this particular
source of sterile and annoying discussions would go away.

Silvio