[no subject]

  • To: yoda.physics.unc.edu!mathgroup at att
  • From: bss at physics.att.com
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 93 15:36:12 EDT

Dear Mathgroup,                                JUly 19th

about pictures within pictures of July 13th
(article <1993.196.195953.13358 at ifi.uio.no>)
I had two questions and got two classes of replies, and several requests
to post the answers since these seem to be  commonly encountered  problems.
Thanks for the prompt replies and here are a few of the
generic replies, followed by a session log for using "Rectangle"
>From: miller at sdr.slb.com (Doug Miller)

We had the same problem with IslandDraw. It's a bug in IslandDraw that
is fixed in a later release.

>From: kj at wri.com (K.J. Paradise)
Subject: Mathgroup query

There is a command in Mathematica Version 2.0 and later called Rectangle[]
that should do exactly what you want it to do.

--------------------------------
jarle.brinchmann at astro.uio.no

In article <1993.196.195953.13358 at ifi.uio.no> you write:
etc etc..

I'm afraid I cannot help you with your question, but I like to point out two
things:

PostScript is rarely editable, that means that your Postscript has to have
some standard prolog which Island Draw supports. I belive MMA is not one of
these. However, the output you have before you do psfix, is _raw_ PostScript.
This can be edited, but needs a proper prolog. This might be provided with
Island Draw, but if you can use Idraw, I have a small Perl Script to
convert this MMA to Idraw format, I'll send it to you if you can use it.

WHile I am waiting for IslandDraw to get back to me , I tried the Rectangle
command, and it indeed works well. Here is a sample session that might be
useful to try out.:
In[1]:= Plot[Sin[x],{x,0,Pi}]

Out[1]= -Graphics-

In[2]:= Plot[Tan[x],{x,0,Pi/2}]

Out[2]= -Graphics-

In[3]:= Rectangle[{0,0},{1.25,100},%1]

Out[3]= Rectangle[{0, 0}, {1.25, 100}, -Graphics-]

In[4]:= Show[%2,Graphics[%]]

Out[4]= -Graphics-
Sriram
bss at physics.att.com