Transient fitting/deconvolution

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Transient fitting/deconvolution
  • From: walker at physics.su.oz.au (Paul Walker)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 93 15:13:07 EST

I'm currently experimenting with fitting transient experimental data
(noisy) to a sum of exponentials model. Using the Statistics`NonlinearFit`
package works OK for low noise levels but at even moderate noise levels,
the smaller terms (longer time constants) aren't well-fitted and the
iterative search wanders around  and goes out of range, as also discussed
by Simon Chandler recently on this mailgroup. Not exactly
confidence-inspiring when analysing real data!

I've been thinking about using a deconvolution method to filter the noise
and even estimate the parameters, particularly since we also want to
deconvolve the instrument response function from the data. I would
appreciate hearing from anybody who has done something like this or who has
any suggestions for us.

Thanks in anticipation,

Paul Walker

                {|}       Paul Walker                     {|}
                {|}       Dept of Applied Physics         {|}
                {|}       University of Sydney 2006       {|}
                {|}       AUSTRALIA                       {|}
                {|}       Ph: +61 2 692 3622              {|}
                {|}       Fax:      660 2903              {|}
                {|}       e-  walker at physics.su.oz.au     {|}
                {    "Learning is a process of invention"   }