MeshRange - a bit odd !

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: MeshRange - a bit odd !
  • From: Simon Chandler <simonc at hpcpbla.bri.hp.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 93 17:47:02 GMT

5/3/93

Dear MathGroupers,

This should be easy !

I wanted to produce a contour plot of a 2D matrix of data with the x
and y-axes labeled with numbers rather than the array values.  e.g.
for this 3x5 matrix

                               in this row are the
        10  20  30  40  50   - x-axis calibration values

   100  1   2   3   4   5

   200  3   4   6   7   9

   300  4   7   8   6   5

   ^
   |_  in this column are the y-axis calibration values

I used

   ListContourPlot[
      {{1,2,3,4,5},{3,4,6,7,9},{4,7,8,6,5}},
      MeshRange->{{10,30},{300,100}}
   ]

because I wanted the origin to be in the top left-hand corner as
indicated.  However, this produces an identical contour plot to

   ListContourPlot[
      {{1,2,3,4,5},{3,4,6,7,9},{4,7,8,6,5}},
      MeshRange->{{10,30},{100,300}}
   ]

so that the origin is always in the bottom left-hand corner.

Why does MeshRange work in this way ?
Is it supposed to ?
How can I make my axis labels increase from the top left-hand corner ?

Thanks for your attention,

Simon Chandler
Hewlett-Packard Ltd (CPB)
Filton Road