Lists and Fitting multiple lines to data

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Lists and Fitting multiple lines to data
  • From: richard at alaska.et.byu.edu (Richard B. Christensen)
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 93 16:13:46 -0700

I am having a difficult time dealing with lists.
I have a list of data :

{{1,2},{2,3},{4,5}}

I want to do some operations on the second column only.
Such as +1, Sin[], etc to each element in the second
column.  I admit I only have a rudimentary knowledge
of Map, Apply, Transpose, and Flatten.  Any help would
be appreciated.

Also, I have data that needs several fitting equations.
One will be Exp[a x -b], another Exp[-c x+d], and the
last would be a polynomial.  Then I would like to Plot
the data and fitting equations in there respective
regions at the same time.  I have seen something
like this before, but I can't remember where.

Thanks

Richard