mathlink

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: mathlink
  • From: Robert Singleton <bobs at thnext.mit.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 93 10:57:17 -0500

Hello mathgroup,

I have a problem that I know can be solved with MathLink - but I
haven't been able to figure out how from just the Mathematica book.

Here is my problem. Since Mathemaica is so lousy at 2 Dim numerical
integrals (i.e. it typically takes too long for anything but the

simplest functions) I want to use a nice montecarlo C program called
Vegas. I want to call vegas from WITHIN mathematica and have it
integrate a functions that I've defined within Mathematica.

Vegas is  sort of long and so the user communicates to it
with a subroutine called 'vegas', which passes the function to be

integrated and returns the answer along with the sd and ch^2. There

are control parameters, like the accuracy, integration limits and

such that are specified by global variables.

My question: how do I call the subroutine vegas from within Mma?

I would eventually like to make a package that calls vegas and

use this when I do 2 Dim integrals. Why is the 2D integration
in Mma so BAD?!? I timed it last night and Vegas works about
100 times faster!?! Any way. thank very much.

Regards,

bob singleton
bobs at thnext.mit.edu