Re: Naming the Mathematica language

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Naming the Mathematica language
  • From: "Bart M. ter Haar Romeny" <bart at cv.ruu.nl>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1993 16:02:30 +0100 (MET)

> I suggest that the Mathematica language should be called: "Tongue".
> Because to its ability to express the thoughts of people in many
> different ways. Not just a language but an instruments to express
> ideas.
> Riccardo Rigon

The best seems to me to keep the name Mathematica. "I programmed this
in Mathematica", "Our standard languages in the lab are C, C++ and
Mathematica" etc. This name is so well known and associated with a
good product, that you should keep it. There is no misunderstanding
between Mathematica in interactive use and programming in Mathematica
for users. The extension of packages (.m) and notebooks (.ma) also
refer to the name: Mathematica.

Never change a winning team/name.
Bart ter Haar Romeny
Bart M. ter Haar Romeny Ph.D.               E-mail: bart at cv.ruu.nl
3D Computer Vision Research Group           Tel:    +31-30-506695/507772
University Hospital Utrecht, E02.222        Fax:    +31-30-513399
Heidelberglaan 100, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands