Suggestions needed for Mathematica course

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg355] Suggestions needed for Mathematica course
  • From: glgesm at engr.psu.edu (Gary L. Gray)
  • Date: Sun, 25 Dec 1994 20:30:10 -0500

Dear MathGroup:

I will be teaching a course called "Mathematical Software Tools in
Engineering Science" at Penn State in the spring. It will be a one credit
course that primarily involves Mathematica (I will also talk a little about
MATLAB). It will meet two hours per week, so I will have time to do a
reasonable number of things even though it is only one credit (I hope to
make it a 2 credit course in the future). Essentially I want to introduce
the students to Mma, get them solving some interesting engineering/science
problems, and show them what how Mathematica can help them solve problems
they are familiar with. The students are going to be juniors, seniors and
beginning grad students, so they will have some mathematical
sophistication. I will be teaching using a computer in a classroom with a
projection system. I am looking forward to teaching this course, but have
never taken or taught a course like this, so I was hoping for some expert
advice/suggestions/resources.

(1) Has anyone taught a course similar to this? If so, what suggestions
might you have for such a course?

(2) Are any materials (notebooks, syllabus examples, etc.) available on the
net (or otherwise) for a course similar to this?

Thank you very much for any suggestions you can provide.

Best regards,

-- Gary L. Gray

--
Gary L. Gray                     |  (814) 863-1778
Assistant Professor              |  (814) 863-7967 (fax)
Engineering Science & Mechanics  |  glgesm at engr.psu.edu
Penn State University            |  AOL: GLGray