Mathematica is prospering

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mathematica is prospering
  • From: "\"Dara M. Pond\"" <dara>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 09:12:50 -0600

We'd like to set straight a confusion:

A few notices have appeared about a company that was previously called
Mathematica, Inc..  This company recently changed its name to Tempra, Inc.
and has since filed for bankruptcy.

This company has nothing whatsoever to do with Wolfram Research, makers
of Mathematica -- a system for technical computing.

Mathematica, Inc. was a manufacturer of a multimedia product called
Tempra.  It recently agreed to change its name to Tempra, Inc. in
order to avoid confusion with Wolfram Research's Mathematica product.
Tempra, Inc. (previously known as Mathematica, Inc.) has now filed for
Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

While we are at it, we should set straight another confusion:  Wolfram
Research also has nothing to do with a Princeton-based company called
Mathematica Policy Research (MPR), which conducts social policy
research and surveys on such issues as healthcare.  This company was
founded in the 1950's; Wolfram Research has an agreement with it
concerning the use of the name Mathematica.

Whatever the fortunes of other companies that are using the name
Mathematica, we are happy to report that Wolfram Research continues to
grow and prosper.  1993 was a good year for us, and we are anticipating
that 1994 will be even better. Mathematica is now used every day by
hundreds of thousands of scientists, engineers, mathematicians,
educators, students, financial analysts and others around the world,
and we look forward to maintaining our high quality of support for the
Mathematica community in the years to come.

Prem Chawla
Chief Operating Officer

Wolfram Research, Inc.                   Wolfram Research Europe Ltd.
100 Trade Center Drive                   Evenlode Court, Main Road
Champaign, Illinois  61820               Long Hanborough, Oxon OX8 2LA
phone: 217-398-0700                      UNITED KINGDOM
fax: 217-398-0747                        phone: +44-(0)993-883-400
email: info at wri.com                      fax: +44-(0)993-883-800
					 email: info-euro at wri.com

Mathematica (R) is a registered trademark of Wolfram Research, Inc.