Automatic Evaluation of Sec[z]

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Automatic Evaluation of Sec[z]
  • From: Anders Christensen <ac at sl.dth.dk>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 94 10:28:39 MET

Hi Mathematica developers -

My problem might be mostly for the folks at WRI: In Denmark, it is most uncommon
to use the function Sec[z] for computation in geometry. (until now I have
never used it, neither in my education nor in my professional work). My students
and I therefore often get quite confused when we do trigonometric modelling with
Mathematica: we expect 1/Cos[z], but Mathematica automatically evaluates to
Sec[z]. Is there any way, without disabling the rest of the trigonometric
simplification rules, to prevent this evaluation and keep the 1/Cos[z], and how?

Happy new year,
Yours,

ANDERS CHRISTENSEN

--