Mathematica licensing

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mathematica licensing
  • From: p.kent at imperial.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 14:14:18 +0100

Dear MathGroup,
 I remember reading somewhere recently (it might have been here)
that WRI does not license Front Ends, only kernels.

Does this mean that if I wanted to install Mathematica on a number
of ancient Macintoshes, say, which had insufficient memory to run
the kernel, and moreover I didn't even put the kernel program on
them, then I wouldn't need to buy any licenses to do that? (Of
course I would be using the FEs connecting to remote kernels for
which I did have licenses.)

Has anyone dealt with this situation?

Regards,
 Phillip Kent