Coloring 2DPlot with different colors

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Coloring 2DPlot with different colors
  • From: Richard Mercer <richard at rmercer.wright.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 09:38:18 -0700

>  Does any one knows how to make on 2DPlot with different
>  colors? For example, I'd like to use two different color
>  to emphasize decreasing or increasing of a function or
>  the positive and negative values of a function.

The package calcE (available at very reasonable price) plots increasing and
decreasing portions of a graph in different colors simply by including the
keyword Direction, and/or plots concave up and concave down portions of the
graph in different colors simply by including the keyword Concavity. In fact
Plot[Sin[x],Cos[x],{-2Pi,2Pi},Direction,Concavity];
will produce eight different colors!

calcE will also plot continuous colors by using the keyword Rainbow, useful
when graphing parametric equations.

This is just a smidgeon of the literally hundreds of features of calcE,
designed to increase the power and ease of use of  Mathematica.

If you are curious about calcE, demonstration files are available on
MathSource, items 0204-691 (for Mathematica v2.0) and 0206-435 (for Mathematica
v2.1 and higher). The full documentation is available as item 0206-750.
Or you can email me for further information.

Richard Mercer                             513-873-2191 office
Department of Mathematics and Statistics   513-873-2785 message
Wright State University                    513-873-3301 fax
Dayton, OH 45435                           NeXTmail welcome!
richard at rmercer.wright.edu        or       rmercer at desire.wright.edu