Putting Inequalities into standard Form

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: Putting Inequalities into standard Form
  • From: Ronald D. Notestine <ronald at sccs.chukyo-u.ac.jp>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 94 23:53:07 +0900

  I have a set of lenear inequalities, with one
equality. The equality can be used to eliminate
one variable, of course. But the resulting set
of constraints is not in standard form: constants
on rhs, lhs with only terms involving variables.
  Is there any way to put this into standard form?
(Preferably, one accessible to my undergrad business
students.)
  An example of what I have:

In[1] := set0 = {x+y==2, 2x+3y<=5};
In[2] := solvey = Solve[set0[[1]], y] //First
Out[2] = {y -> 2 - x}
In[3] := set1 = (Rest[set0] /. solvey) //Simplify//First
Out[3] = 6 - x <= 5

  Of course, I want: x >= 1

The full form is:

In[4] := set1 //FullForm
Out[4] = LessEqual[Plus[6, Times[-1, x]], 5]

I could write a function that transforms this to:
    GreaterEqual[Plus[0,Times[1,x]],6-5]
which is just x >= 1,
However, I  would rather there were something built-in.
Does anyone know of something?
I would be very grateful, if someone did and took the
time to help me out on this.
Thank you very much,
Ron Notestine
Chukyo University