Question in ParametricPlot

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg227] Question in ParametricPlot
  • From: Xah Y Lee <xyl10060 at fhda.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 03:12:33 -0800 (PST)

Here is a problem I have that calls for knowing the internal algorithm
used for ParametricPlot. When we do a ParametricPlot, mma automatically
figures out which t to use to produce a smooth curve. I need the list of
t(s) used. Is there a way to get them?

I know I can get a list of points {{x[t1],y[t1]}, {x[t2], y[t2]},...} by

 someplot = ParametricPlot[....];

 Cases[ someplot, _Line,Infinity ] [[1]]

and solve for t, but this would be very inpractical. I am writing a
series of animation generating functions on special plane curves. With
the list of t, I can be much flexible and powerful in writing my
programs. What I want is to have mma figure out the t(s) needed to make a
smooth curve then pass them to my ploting program.

Thanks for any help.

 Xah Lee
 Permament email: 74631.731 at compuserve.com
 good till December 10: xyl10060 at tiptoe.fhda.com