answers to regress

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg237] answers to regress
  • From: calman at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu (Jack Calman STH x4398)
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 09:44:38 -0500

Here are two answers I got after posting the following questions,
once to MathGroup, and once to WRI:

 Two questions about Statistics`LinearRegression`Regress:

Data can be fit by, for example,

Regress[data, {1, x, x^2}, {x}, OutputList -> {ParameterTable,
ConfidenceIntervalTable}, OutputControl -> NoPrint]

which fits the data to  a second degree polynomial, and gives many of
the error statistics of interest. BUT:

1) The output comes in the form of several tables, and looks like:

ParameterTable -> ....(table of numbers and text)...

ConfidenceIntervalTable -> ...(another table of numbers and text)...

Here is the first question:

How can the various numbers in the tables on the right side be
extracted for use as variables, for example as inputs to
Graphics`Graphics`ErrorListPlot ?

2) How can one control the word wrap or line width in the
ParameterTable or other tabular output. The line breaks or
wraps while there is still plenty of room on the screen (even
if I reformat the cell to use a smaller font), and the table
is then very hard to read ?

Thank you MathGroupers. This is my first posting.

Jack_Calman at jhuapl.edu

Applied Physics Laboratory
The Johns Hopkins University
Laurel, MD

 I would like the output of Regress to be in a smaller font and
a larger line width so that the table it produces fits and looks
nice on the page. I tried changing the output cell's font and
word wrap parameters but they did not change anything. Then I tried
FontFormat[regressoutput, {"Courier", 8}], but that didn't work either.
I suspect there is some option possible in Regress. Can you tell me
how to do it?

 Thank you very much,

 Jack_Calman at jhuapl.edu