Power Mac Performance

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg247] Power Mac Performance
  • From: BOSS at PMEL.NOAA.GOV
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 13:19:19 -0700 (PDT)

MathGroupers,

I had the opportunity to compare the performance of the native version of MMa
(2.2.2) running on a Power Mac 7100/66 with that of a Quadra 700 running
version 2.2.1.  The notebook used represents a fairly good mix of symbolic
manipulation, number crunching, and rendering of postcript plots (including 3D
plots).  The Power Mac has 24 MB of memory and virtual memory was turned off.
The Quadra 700 has 20 MB of memory and virtual memory was also turned off.  The
results were as follows:

	Machine		Elapsed Time
	--------	------------
	7100/66		230 seconds

	Quadra 700	1815 seconds

The Power Mac was nearly 8 times faster than the Quadra.

I also ran a simpler test with the following results:

Quadra 700

Timing[Inverse[Table[Random[],{100},{100}]];]
{7.95 Second, Null}
Timing[N[Pi,500];]
{0.55 Second, Null}
Timing[10000!][[1]]
57.6833 Second

Power Mac 7100/66

Timing[Inverse[Table[Random[],{100},{100}]];]
{0.966667 Second, Null}
Timing[N[Pi,500];]
{0.05 Second, Null}
Timing[10000!][[1]]
9.16667 Second

I would be interested in seeing the results of this simple test from other
platforms such as the Sparc workstations and the Pentium-based PC.

Ed Boss
NOAA/Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory