elliptic integrals

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg602] elliptic integrals
  • From: Dale G. Fried <dgf at noleak.MIT.EDU>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 1995 14:15:10 -0500

Hi,

In the process of trying to find analytic expressions for the magnetic
field (everywhere) generated by a solenoid, I ran into the following
weird behavior with elliptic integrals on MMA Version Windows 387 2.2
(May 13, 1993):

first, load package
<<Calculus`EllipticIntegrate`

Then:
Integrate[1/Sqrt[(a + b x + x^2)(a - b x + x^2)], x]

I get an expression that includes the symbol
"Calculus`EllipticIntegrate`Private`a$24".  What is this?  What do I
do with it?  Things get even more complicated when I put some limits
on my integral (as I will need to do).

Thanks for your help.

-Dale

--