Re: question about nest

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1961] Re: question about nest
  • From: Scott.A.Hill at williams.edu (Lancelot)
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 1995 23:23:49 -0400

In article <DDsGrD.Gy6 at wri.com>,
ORLANDO LUIS GOULART PERES  <orlando at axp.ift.unesp.br> wrote:
>Dear Wizards
>
>I have a function with two variables
>f[x_,a_]:=a*x*(1-x)
>And I need the n-compose function
>Nest[f,x,n]
>But Mathematica look for a function f[x] and not f[x,a]
>Is this possible to use Nest with this two variable function?
>For example, I need
>f[x,a], f[f[x,a],a], f[f[f[x,a],a],a] .
>Later I will put many values for "a" .
>Regards
>Orlando Peres

	This is inelegant, but the easiest way I see to do it is with
the following:

Nest[(g[x_]:=f[x,a];g),x,n]

Be sure to Clear and Remove g when you are done with it, of course.

	I'll leave it to the real wizards to develop a more elegant
solution.  (Probably using Cases, Select, and MapIndexed, no doubt.:)

/
:@-) Scott
\