Simplification of Min and Max expressions?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1809] Simplification of Min and Max expressions?
  • From: ernesto at crhc.uiuc.edu (Ernesto Su)
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 23:08:57 -0400

Is there a Mathematica package that includes functions
that simplify Min and Max expressions?

For example,

	Min[ Max[a,2b], Max[a,2b+1] ] = Max[a,2b]

I can limit the arguments to straight lines
(eg, linear expressions like "5" or "a" or "2b+1") or
Min/Max of them (eg, Max[a,2b+1]).

I was about to write one but thought I should ask first.
Please email.  Thank you!

-Ernesto
 ernesto at crhc.uiuc.edu