Re: Functional programming puzzle

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1826] Re: Functional programming puzzle
  • From: wagner at bullwinkle.cs.Colorado.EDU (Dave Wagner)
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 23:52:38 -0400

In article <DCK2Ex.5MG at wri.com>,
Count Dracula  <lk3a at kelvin.seas.virginia.edu> wrote:

>This will work if you give Outer a Level specification:

This seems to be an undocumented feature.  It makes me wonder, how many
other functions take level specifications that we don't know about?
Here are all the ones that I'm aware of (These are all the functions
that contain the strings "levelspec" or "levspec" in their usage
messages):

    Apply, Cases, Count, DeleteCases, FreeQ, Level, Map, MapAll,
    MapIndexed, MemberQ, Position, and Scan.

Now add to that list: Outer.

In addition, I know of the following functions that deal with levels
in some way, although they don't take a standard levelspec. These are:

    Dimension, Flatten, MapThread, Operate, Partition, RotateLeft,
    RotateRight, Transpose, and TreeForm.

Can anyone add any more functions to these lists?  Enquiring minds
want to know!

		Dave Wagner
		Principia Consulting
		(303) 786-8371