Re: Mathematica Graphics

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1832] Re: [mg1784] Mathematica Graphics
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay%haystack at christensen.cybernetics.net>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 1995 23:53:42 -0400

Jeff Benvenuti <benven at eldp.epfl.ch>
in [mg1784] Mathematica Graphics
wrote

> I have two questions about Mathematica
> 1)I can't save Mathematica graphics in files properly in order to
> get them back afterwards on my HP screen. How can that be done?
> 2)How can one Animate Graphics on a HP?,ie plot successively
> Mathematica images as in a movie?

I hope that the following is of help.

Allan Hayes
De Montfort University Leicester
hay at haystack.demon.co.uk

1)
Saving Graphics

When we make the plot
plot0 = Plot[Sin[x], {x,0,2Pi}]
	-Graphics-

The output is lost when we quit Mathematica.
Often it is simpler, and even faster to regenerate the output by
re-evaluating the input, but if you really need to store the output
here are two ways.

1. Save in a separate file (convenient but you have to keep, and
keep track of the file).

plot0>>SavedGraphics

This can now be recovered

<<SavedGraphics
	-Graphics-

% == plot0
	True

You may want to have a different location for the file.

2. Store in notebook (messy but it is part of the notebook)
A simple way is to
	* input the next cell
	* change the resulting print cell to an input cell (select;
press Command+9) .

InputForm[plot0]//Print;

You may want to hide all this input by putting it in a closed group
or by closing the cell (select, Command+ ;). But the latter
technique results in a cell that is easilly overlooked.

2)
Animation

On my NeXT the following works.

Enter

Do[
	Plot[Sin[x+ n Pi/10], {x, 0,2 Pi},PlotRange -> {-1,1}],
	{n,0, 19}
]

Close the resulting group of graphics; select its bracket; press
Command + y.

Notes:
	1. PlotRange -> {-1,1} is used to align the graphics properly.
	2.You could use Table in place of Do if you want to output
the list of graphics objects for future use (eg for making into a
graphics array)