Re: Bug in symbolic inversion of matrices

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2619] Re: Bug in symbolic inversion of matrices
  • From: danl (Daniel Lichtblau)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 20:58:38 -0500

In article <49dp5g$8a6 at dragonfly.wri.com> chapman at bonnie.drea.dnd.ca

*****
> Dave Chapman                         DREA            phone: (902)
426-3100 x228
> dave.chapman at drea.dnd.ca                               FAX: (902)
426-9654

  Symbolic matrix inversion, and symbolic linear algebra in general, tends
to suffer from pronounced expression swell. This is a problem we are
addressing incrementally; as we improve our simplification capabilities we
hope to improve the methods available to symbolic linear algebra as well.
  Having said all this, the misbehavior you noted was a bug specific to
version 2.1 of Mathematica. The linear algebra inversion method switched
at 7x7, and for many matrices this was a bad thing. Version 2.2 improved
this in two ways, by keeping the default method consistent and by allowing
other methods at the user's option. The bug you note in printing is that
the formatting code is not easily interruptible. This is a separate
problem, and to my knowledge it has not been fixed, at least not in
version 2.2. The reason it is not seen in your 6x6 examples is that the
method used for those does not (in your matrices) generate such tremendous
output, and hence the formatter does not hang on them.

  Daniel Lichtblau
  Wolfram Research, Inc.