Re: Windows NT or Linux

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg2688] Re: Windows NT or Linux
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 1995 01:57:39 -0500

In article <4a0rt9$ce1 at dragonfly.wri.com>, tecvis at iprolink.ch (Dr Pierre
E. Ravussin,) wrote:

> Hello
>
> I had made the same inquiry to some Mathematica distributors. Apparently
> there is no technical advantage to use Windows NT or Linux because Math. is
> a 16 bit soft. Finally I bought the Windows 3.1 version !
> I would appreciate your feeed back.
>
> Ravussin (tecvis at mail.iprolink.ch)
>

> >Hi all ...
> >
> >Is somebody operation with Mathematica on Linux Systems ...???
> >
> >I am considering to get Mathematica for Linux or for Windows NT and would
> >like to get some feedback which is more efficient ..
> >
> >Thanks in advance ....
> >
> >Buelent (zbya at mae.eng.ucf.edu)

Just to clarify, in the current version of Mathematica for
Windows, which runs under Windows NT, the kernel is a 32 bit
Win32 application, while the front end is a 16 bit application.

The Linux version of Mathematica is a full 32 bit application.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support