Mathematica vs ?
- Subject: [mg2860] Mathematica vs ?
- From: doug at sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov (Doug Wellington)
- Date: 30 Dec 1995 03:40:36 -0600
- Approved: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Distribution: local
- Newsgroups: wri.mathgroup
- Organization: The University of Arizona
- Sender: daemon at wri.com
Hello, I've only lurked for a weekend, and I looked for FAQs, but I haven't found the answer I'm looking for... I'm sure this is some kind of frequent question... Anyway, the bottom line is, why should I buy Mathematica over any of the other packages, such as MathCad, Matlab or Maple? What are their individual strengths? The only think I've heard is that MathCad is super easy, Maple supports symbolic math, and that Matlab is powerful and portable... Where does Mathematica fit into this? Ultimately, I found a package called "Calculus and Mathematica" which seemed to be a great way of getting back up to speed with Calculus. It works with Mathematica. Any help is much appreciated! -Doug Doug Wellington welling at usgs.gov doug at sun1paztcn.wr.usgs.gov System and Network Administrator US Geological Survey Tucson, AZ Project Office (602) 670-6821 x26 According to proposed Federal guidelines, this message is a "non-record". Hmm, I wonder if _everything_ I say is a "non-record"...