Re: Does Mma solve INTEGER Problems

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1688] Re: Does Mma solve INTEGER Problems
  • From: larso171 at maroon.tc.umn.edu (James Albert Larson)
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 01:34:21 -0400

>Does anybody know, if Mathematica is able to solve a Integer Linear
>Problem or a Mixed Integer Linear Problem with more than 100 variables and
>about 150 constraints? Up to now I didn4t make it to define a constraint
>like x1 in N. Did I overlook it or is there an extra-package for it.
>Any answer is very welcome.

Will LinearProgramming[] solve it?  I realize LinearProgramming (LP)
doesn't handle integer variables.  But if LP can solve the non-integer
version of the problem, then my package can probably solve the integer
or mixed integer version of it.

There is a MixedIntegerLinearProgramming.m package on Mathsource, by Robert
Korsan.  It handles things symbolically, and calls ConstrainedMinimum or
ConstrainedMaximum.  I rewrote it in a numerical form that calls
LinearProgramming[].  Presumably, in numeric form it will run faster and
handle larger problems than the symbolic form.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Jim Larson