Re: Mathematica 2.0 swapfile problem?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1776] Re: Mathematica 2.0 swapfile problem?
  • From: Rex Dieter <rdieter at mathlab01.unl.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jul 1995 21:32:42 -0400

mek at guinan.arl.psu.edu (Mark E. Kotanchek) wrote:
> In article <3uote1$ica at er6.rutgers.edu> jin at er6.rutgers.edu (gum) writes:
>
>   I got the educational copy several years ago, and only started
>   serious use recently. My swapfile just keeps growing and never shrinks.
>   Should I upgrade to recent version to get rid of the problem? Or
>   is there any trick I can do to keep the condition under control?
>   I'm running mathematica on NS 3.0. Thanks
>
> Mathematica has the neat feature that it preserves _every_ result ever
> generated -- which is why after days of running you can still access that
> umpteen megabyte variable as "%12" even though you stopped caring about
> "%12"  quite some time ago. IMHO, this is an example of poor design for
> those of us  who program or do data analysis with Mma. Since the Mma folk
> don't believe this  is a design flaw,

I believe this is a valid concern, but your misinformation about this
feature must be corrected...

From page 514 of the book: Mathematica, A System for doing Mathematics by
Computer...

In a standard session, Mathematica stores all your input and output lines
for the duration of the session.  In a very long session, this may take up
a large amount of computer memory.  You can nevertheless get rid of the
input and output lines by explicitly clearing the values of 'In' and 'Out',
using: 'Unprotect[In, Out]' followed by Clear[In, Out].  An alternative
startegy is to reset the line number counter $Line, so that new lines are
numbered so as to overwrite previous ones...

---
Rex A. Dieter                             rdieter at math.unl.edu (NeXT/MIME)
Research Associate                        Voice: (402)472-9747
Department of Mathematics and Statistics  FAX:   (402)472-8466
University of Nebraska - Lincoln          http://www.math.unl.edu/~rdieter/