Q: Random[]

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1598] Q: Random[]
  • From: elsner at avalon.msfc.nasa.gov (Ron Elsner)
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 01:18:25 -0400

I am constructing a Monte-Carlo simulator in Mathematica for an
x-ray polarimeter we are proposing for NASA's Explorer program.  I
have 2 questions about Random[]:

1.  What is its period?  This affects how large a Monte-Carlo I
can run before losing independence of trials.

2.  I understand it gets its seed from the clock.  When debugging
Monte-Carlo code, I like to set the seed so I can repeat runs.  Is
this possible for Random[], and if so how?  (The seed initiates the
sequence of psuedo-random numbers.)

Ron Elsner                                  205-544-7741
ES84                                        205-544-7754 (fax)
NASA MSFC                                   elsner at avalon.msfc.nasa.gov
Huntsville, AL 35812