Problems with NIntegrate

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1645] Problems with NIntegrate
  • From: Ian.Barringer at brunel.ac.uk (Drib)
  • Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 04:25:31 -0400

HI,
	I have come up against a problem in Mathematica I hope someone
	in this group may be able to explain to me.
	I have defined a function as follows;
	fp[p_]=Sqrt[(x^2-1)/(p^2-x^2)]
	which I wish to integrate numerically. This I can do with
	integer values of p:
	NIntegrate[fp[6],{x,1,6}]
	= 5.69279
	However, if I set p as a real value, such as:
	NIntegrate[fp[6.2],{x,1,6.2}]
	I get an inexact arithmetic error, and no answer.

	Does anybody know why this is happening, and if it's possible
	to repair ?
	If the problem was caused by the singularity a x=p then surely
	this would effect both integer and real values of p.
	I have consulted the manual, but if the answer is in there I can't
	find it !

	Any help would be gratefully received.

	Thanks in advance Ian.

--
--------------------- Ian.Barringer at Brunel.ac.uk -----------------
If you are not entirely satisfied with the contents of this mail,