Context confusion

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1530] Context confusion
  • From: REECE_D <REECE+_D%A1%Electromagnetic_Sciences at mcimail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 23:24:18 -0400

   Back to my context confusion question.  I think it is behaving like I
originally thought so my question still exists.  Maybe someone can read
this example and explain why I am confused:

   BeginPackage["Thermal`", "Packages`Miscellaneous`Units`",
   "Packages`Miscellaneous`SIUnits`", "Global`"];

   Needs::nocont:
      Warning:Context Packages`Miscellaneous`Units`
        was not created when Needs was evaluated.
   Needs::nocont:
      Warning:Context Packages`Miscellaneous`SIUnits`
        was not created when Needs was evaluated.

   Options[Grashof] = {Temperature->300 Kelvin}

   Kelvin::shdw:
      Warning: Symbol Kelvin appears in multiple contexts
       {Thermal`, Miscellaneous`SIUnits`}; definitions in
        context Thermal` may shadow or be shadowed by other
        definitions.

   According to Maeder's Book(p.31) "When Mathematica encounters a symbol
in the input that you type or that is read from a file, it searches the
current context and then all the contexts on the context path for this
symbol."  Why then does MMA create 2 versions of Kelvin when both contexts
are on the $ContextPath?

   Related question, how do I leave SIUnits off of the explicit calls but
have it appear in the $ContextPath as a result of the call to Units?

   I am really confused over something I thought I understood somewhat.

   Thanks in advance,
   Daryl