Re: Download from Mathsource

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1549] Re: [mg1512] Download from Mathsource
  • From: dilatush at raptor.sccs.swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Todd Dilatush)
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 1995 03:57:50 -0400

Richard Mercer (richard at seuss.math.wright.edu) wrote:

: This can indeed be a problem. The supposedly "platform-independent" packages
: (.m files), because of the linefeed problem you mention, are in fact not fully
: platform-independent. If the linefeed problem is not corrected, you may observe

Actually, that's just a fact about text files; Unix, DOS and Mac each use
slightly different CR/LF conventions for text files.  See my second comment
in this post for more...

: Unfortunately this doesn't help you much unless you can get people to post
: packages in notebook format, or at least binhex format (.hqx) for Mac users.
: Your best bet would be to find a DOS-MAC text tranfer utility that handles line
: feeds correctly. Recent Macintosh system software I believe will do this
: automatically IF you feed it the file on a DOS disk! (Not convenient if you

Many (most?) Mac file downloading programs support the CR/LF conversions.
There may be preferences settings in netscape to do this.  Or you can use
fetch -- I'm pretty sure it can do so.  Make sure you download stuff as 'text'