Re: In[1]:= Question

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1066] Re: In[1]:= Question
  • From: rubin at msu.edu (Paul A. Rubin)
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 1995 16:20:55 -0400

In article <3olui9$ql4 at news0.cybernetics.net>,
   taw at bigdog.engr.arizona.edu (Timothy Wilson) wrote:
->Pardon the silly question ladies and gents:
->
->I am using Mathematica for Windows and wish to accomplish the following.
->When I have a notebook open and I begin to create a model, there is the
->In and Out numbers given from Mathematica.  If I open another notebook
->after having closed the first and reuse say a variable from the previous
->notebook, I get results.  Put simply, how do I clear the ENTIRE memory?
->
->Sorry about the incoherent message.  :)
->
->Gene and Tim :)
->
->-----------------------------------------------------------------
->Timothy A. Wilson
->taw at bigdog.engr.arizona.edu
->-----------------------------------------------------------------

I use a package called CleanSlate, available from MathSource.  I've seen
complaints that it takes to long unloading large (multimegabyte) packages
from memory, but in my experience the delays have been entirely tolerable,
and it returns the kernel to a pretty viriginal state.  You could always
kill the kernel and reload it, but on my machine (also a Windoze box) that
takes a lot longer than CleanSlate does.

Paul

* Paul A. Rubin                                  Phone: (517) 432-3509   *
* Department of Management                       Fax:   (517) 432-1111   *
* Eli Broad Graduate School of Management        Net:   RUBIN at MSU.EDU    *
* Michigan State University                                              *
* East Lansing, MI  48824-1122  (USA)                                    *
Mathematicians are like Frenchmen:  whenever you say something to them,
they translate it into their own language, and at once it is something
entirely different.                                    J. W. v. GOETHE