Re: Normal Probability Plots

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1093] Re: Normal Probability Plots
  • From: villegas (Robert Villegas)
  • Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 21:31:31 -0400

> 	Someone I work with is looking for a plotting routine that
> generates what he calls probability paper.  If you plot the cdf of a
> Gaussian distribution on this paper it is supposed to appear as a
> straight line.
>
> 	I have checked the WRI web site and found nothing
> matching this.  If anyone has a notebook or routine like this could
> you please post a copy.

Hello Charles,

A little over a year ago I wrote a function to do this in response to a
tech support query.  This function has recently gone up in the Technical
Support branch of our home page.

The Technical Support FAQ is at

http://www.wri.com/techsupport/

and the NormalProbabilityPlot function is at

http://www.wri.com/techsupport/Graphics/Axes/ProbabilityPlot.html

It's no full-fledged package since it was just a response to a query,
but it is a useful little function and might give a direction to go in
if you need more sophisticated things.

I recommend browsing the Technical Support FAQ in general while you're
there.

Best regards,

Robby