Re: Online documentation available?

  • To: mathgroup at christensen.cybernetics.net
  • Subject: [mg1148] Re: Online documentation available?
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 05:29:25 -0400

In article <3ouv11$995 at news0.cybernetics.net>, auhl at fzi.de wrote:

> I'm wondering, if there is some online documentation for mathematica
> available that describes more than only the front end. I consider it a bit
> inconvenient to always look something up in a book when I'm sitting in front
> of my workstation.
>
> Is there anything out in the net? Could be ASCII, HTML, Postscript,
> INF-Format or something else.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Axel.

Entering ? followed by the name of any Mathematica symbol or
function returns the usage message for that function. The ?
operator together with wild cards allows you to get a listing
of all symbols or functions matching a certain string.

So, for example, we can get a list of all functions and symbols
containing Plot and then get the usage message for one of those
functions.

In[1]:=
    ?*Plot*

ContourPlot      ParametricPlot3D PlotPoints
DensityPlot      Plot             PlotRange
ListContourPlot  PlotColor        PlotRegion
ListDensityPlot  PlotDivision     PlotStyle
ListPlot         PlotJoined       Plot3D
ListPlot3D       PlotLabel        Plot3Matrix
ParametricPlot

In[2]:=
    ?ListPlot

ListPlot[{y1, y2, ...}] plots a list of values. The x
   coordinates for each point are taken to be 1, 2, ....
   ListPlot[{{x1, y1}, {x2, y2}, ...}] plots a list of
   values with specified x and y coordinates.

In the Macintosh, NEXTSTEP and X Front Ends the Function Browser
allows you to browse through functions and symbols by topic and
read the usage messages, as well as allowing you to paste
templates for the functions into your notebook.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier
Technical Sales Support